28 Jun We Spent a Cool 3,000,000 on a New Laptop!
That’s right, it’s not a typo, but since we bought our new laptop in Indonesia, it was IDR 3,000,000 which is roughly £200. Before we started this trip we spent a long time deciding on which travel laptop to get. Eventually we settled on the Acer Aspire V5-171; at 11.6” – it’s a neat little machine that can cope with pretty much everything we throw at it. So why do we need a new laptop?
We found that travelling with just one laptop between two of us just wasn’t good enough. Although we have an iPhone too, it’s only suitable for browsing, not completing freelance work assignments or writing this blog so ultimately, we both ended up arguing over who gets to use the laptop. Therefore, out of a number of tasks to do while we were in Jakarta, buying a new laptop was high on the list.
How we Chose our New Laptop for Travel
We were on the lookout for a laptop that was the same or very similar to our Acer Aspire V5-171 with the following criteria:
- Size: It needed to be small, ideally no larger than the one we already have (11.6”) and certainly no heavier (1.3kg).
- Power: we needed something decent enough to handle some video editing and word processing amongst other things, so again, more powerful than a notebook but no super-powers.
- Memory: we have a few different back-ups of our pictures and work, so we didn’t need a massive amount of memory but enough to keep our data comfortably.
- Battery life: enough so that we can work for a few hours, multitasking and so that we know we wouldn’t need to charge it up every hour.
- Price: as little as possible, our last travel laptop cost £300 so we expected to pay no more than that for this one.
Our New Travel Laptop is…
We couldn’t actually find the Acer Aspire V5-171, even when looking through countless Acer stores in the shopping malls of Jakarta. So, from the electronics section of a Carrefour supermarket in Jakarta, we eventually chose the Acer Aspire One Q1VZC, this is very similar to our Acer Aspire V5-171 with some subtle differences, for example:
- Our new Acer laptop is a little less powerful
- It doesn’t have a USB 3.0 port (so some backing up of data to our hard drive is a little slower)
- It’s a different colour
- Most annoyingly, the keyboard doesn’t have a ‘£’ sign
Here are the specs for our Acer Aspire One Q1VZC:
- Screen size – 11.1 inches
- Weight – 1.3 kilos
- Processor – Intel Celeron CPU847
- Memory – 2GB RAM, 320GB hard drive
- Battery life – up to five hours
- Other features – three USB2.0 ports, two in one memory card reader to suit our camera, 1.3 MP HD webcam
- Price – IDR 3,000,000 or £200 from Carrefour, Jakarta
Even better, we got a free laptop sleeve with this new laptop and it all fits into our current laptop case with our original laptop too!
What gadgets do you use when travelling? Are you travelling as a couple? If so do you have your own devices or do you share?